Sunday, 3 February 2013

Sweet Heart Valentine Fairy Cakes and Buttercream Recipe


Valentine's Day Fairy Cake

This is a simple but effective Valentine's Day themed fairy cake. It is worth buying some nice paper cases to bake your cakes in, I used some red and white polka dot cakes.

  • I started off by baking a batch of my plain fairy cakes.
  • Once cooled I decorated them with some buttercream (recipe below)
  • Add the jelly heart sweets and a sprinkle of edible glitter. Of course you could use other sweets such as Love Hearts or fizzy jelly hearts.

Buttercream Recipe

5 oz butter
10 oz icing sugar
drop of milk
edible glitter (optional)
food colouring (optional)

  • Whisk the butter until soft. 
  • Add half of the icing sugar and carefully on a low speed and whisk. Add the remaining icing sugar and whisk until smooth.
  • Add the optional food colouring and combine.
  • If you feel the buttercream is too thick had a teaspoon or two of milk.

Tip - if you want a different flavour buttercream you could add a little lemon or lime juice.

8 comments:

  1. Yum! I love the little hearts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! Which butter do you use? I find regular butter makes yellowy icing - yours looks lovely and white :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I use farmhouse butter sold in large pats from a local farm shop, the trick to getting buttercream to look pale is to use an electric whisk, whisk on high and it will lose the yellow colour.

      Delete
  3. Hi! We've recently launched the site www.Recipesup.com, on our website you can promote your blog Through facebook,twitter.com and pinterest. I invite you to go and take a look. Your blog will be in the top rank of Recipesup blogs. Hopefully your food blog will be up there in the top!

    Lovely blog!
    www.recipesup.com
    www.cazarecetas.com

    Kinds Regards

    ReplyDelete
  4. So cute...I love jelly hearts...a lovely cupcake for Valentines! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Super cute! I love the glittery bits on the top of the hearts!

    ReplyDelete

I really do appreciate you leaving me a comment and I enjoy reading them all. Thank you so much.
Angela x