Thursday, 27 September 2012

Groupon Afternoon Tea - The Wroxeter Hotel



This afternoon I spent a lovely few hours with my sister and parents, indulging in afternoon tea at The Wroxeter Hotel. What a bargain of an Afternoon Tea it was too, £24 for four people! An offer I came across in my morning email from Groupon, who work with business to bring the best of offers to there readers. I subscribe to receive their free  newsletter by email letting me know of the latest deals. Whether that be a hotel break, a three course lunch or golf lessons, but any mention of tea or cakes always gets my attention. Now normally, if you are anything like me the email arrives but gets bogged down in my inbox and by the time I have thought about it the offer has expired. But not this time, a day or two later and the offer still opened I clicked the 'Buy Now' button. 

The whole process is so quick and easy, once the offer has ended you receive an email from Groupon with your voucher. Then it was a case of me phoning the hotel to book a convenient date. I had just brought myself for £24, Afternoon Tea with Pimms for four people.
The Wroxeter Hotel is situation in the heart of the Shropshire countryside, near to Wroxeter Roman City with views of The Wrekin hill. Being mid week it was very quiet and we had our choice of seating, we chose to sit in the conservatory with views of the countryside. The tables were laid with tablecloths and matching bone china plates, cups and saucers. I thought this was a nice touch, not just your standard hotel cups and saucers. 

Afternoon Tea Menu

Pimms, sparkling wine or soft drink

Choice of sandwiches - cheese, ham or tuna

Scones - plain, cherry or fruit
served with clotted cream and berry compote

Cider fruit cake, Ginger cake

Tea or coffee

The sandwiches were all freshly made, and very tasty particularly the ham. I managed to get my hands on one of the cherry scones, which were light even after I had smothered it with cream and berry compote. I must say it made a very pleasant change to have the berry compote as opposed to normally having jam.  


The one thing I was disappointed with, was the fruit cake it was clearly a packet cake the type you find in a supermarket. But that does not mean to say I had problems eating it, it just was not as good as homemade fruit cake. I did think the packets of Flora stood out like a sore thumb on the cake stand, but I guess that gave you an option other than clotted cream. Although I've yet to discover when I would ever chose an option other than clotted cream!

I can honestly say that I thought this Afternoon Tea was exceptional value for money, and will certainly be quick to respond to future Groupon emails. Particularly when an offer is for something that's so local to me, just 15 minutes down the road for this Afternoon Tea treat.

Disclosure - I was supplied a voucher from Groupon to complete this review, all opinions are my own and honestly given.

3 comments:

  1. the sandwiches are fabulously laid out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This does sem exceptional value

    ReplyDelete

I really do appreciate you leaving me a comment and I enjoy reading them all.
Angela x