Saturday, 24 March 2012

Madeleines

Heaven on a plate
On a day out to Church Stretton, Shropshire early this week I discovered an amazing hardware shop called Salts that sold everything you could want in a kitchen. It was here I got tempted to buy my special baking tray. I've waited far too long to buy myself a Madeleines tray, having been inspired to bake them many years ago when watching the film The Transporter. Oh yes who would of made a connection between Jason Statham and baking, although as my cousin pointed out they are both hot!

Recipe
60g unsalted butter - melted
1 large egg
50g caster sugar
50g plain flour
1 tsp vanilla extract
grated zest of 1 large lemon
icing sugar for decoration


Preheat your oven to 180 degrees C
Melt the butter, use some of the melted butter to liberally grease the Madeleine tray.  Put the rest of the butter to one side to cool. 
  • Whisk the egg and caster sugar together until it is thick and fluffy, the whisk should leave a ribbon trail when you lift it out of the mixture.
  • Sift the flour into the egg and sugar mixture and fold in.  
  • Add the vanilla extract and lemon zest, folding in gently.
  • Add 3 tablespoons of the cooled melted butter, again fold into the mixture.
  • Fill each mould half full and bake for just 8 minutes, until golden and firm to the touch. 
Love my Madeleine tray
  • Turn the Madeleine's out onto a wire rack to cool. 
  • Dust with icing sugar before serving.
Light and lovely
I'm submitting this recipe as part of March's AlphaBakes Challenge on The More Than Occasional Baker and Caroline Makes blog of which Caroline is this months host. This months letter is 'M' for Madeleines.

7 comments:

  1. They look wonderfully light and airy! What's the connection with the Transporter?
    Thanks for entering them into Alphabakes - I've just done a last-minute entry myself!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Caroline, I'm looking forward to see the round up this month.

      Ah the Transporter connection, Jason Statham's character has freshly made Madeleines for breakfast, this was my first introduction to Madeleines.

      Delete
  2. These madeleines are lovely & HOT!! LOL.. To be honest I do make connection between some actor or hero of Jane Austen novels & baking sometime! These makes baking even more fun, don't you think! LOL :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes they tasted wonderful whilst warm. I always enjoy reading your blog posts and Jane's quotes :)

      Delete
  3. Perfectly baked! Transporter inspired you, huh..hmm..interesting. lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. These look wonderful! I'm always eyeing up the pretty madaleine tins but haven't committed to buying one yet.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh yum! I have been hankering for one of these for ages :) A Madeleine tray - and an eclair tray...
    Madeleines are the first things I buy when we go camping in France!
    I recently watched the Transporter - I didn't notice the baking (probably looking down at my knitting...) I did notice him though ;)

    ReplyDelete

I really do appreciate you leaving me a comment and I enjoy reading them all. Thank you so much.
Angela x